Thursday, March 8, 2012

Just some stuff...

So, not much worth telling has happened lately. I mentioned in an earlier post that I would be going to Fiji for spring break. Well, it was a little spendy, so my friends and I decided to go to the Gold Coast (in Australia, for those of you who don't know) instead. We plan on seeing the Great Barrier Reef and possibly diving with sharks. We already booked our flight and hostel.

This weekend I will be living on a farm... Apparently we do chores and help out in exchange for a place to stay and, best of all, free home-cooked meals! That's worth it to us poor, unemployed college students in this expensive country. (Seriously...their minimum wage is $15.15 or so. I NEED a job.)

Speaking of jobs, I handed out my resume to a bunch of places in the mall the other day, and one of them interviewed my friend and I on the spot. It's just a salad place in the food court, but today I go in for a two-hour trial shift and I should know if I actually have a job in a week or so.

Oh yeah, and my friend was nice enough to post this on my wall:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/thousands-spiders-blanket-australian-farm-escaping-flood-165958059.html

Things you need to know:  1. I HATE spiders. 2. This happened on a farm in New South Wales. I live in New South Wales, and I'm going to be living on a farm this weekend... 3. It has rained a lot in the past week.

Yesterday I walked to class in boots (first time I've worn those in a while) that I wear all the time at home, including in the rain. They were absolutely SOAKED by the time I got there. That doesn't even happen at home. And of course I was dressed for cold and rain and the uphill walk back was really sunny and hot. Bipolar weather just like at home!

Annnd, this is my life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhMucFYi4Hw

1. Coffee (and everything...even ketchup) is actually better here. I don't know what it is.
2. We get lost constantly.
3. They know we're American because: we're loud, our accents, and we don't know what we're doing. Among other things.
4. They do call 'fries' 'chips.'
5. Yes, we can drink the water.
6. Yes, this has changed my life.
7. We do not have to tip.
8. The kids ARE adorable. On the flight here there was a baby across the aisle from me that wouldn't stop staring at me, so I'd make ridiculous faces at him. His mom said he was flirting with me. Flattered.

I'll stop there...but my friends and I have said/thought so many of the things in that video, or variations of them. Sorry this is long and probably terribly boring to read. I'm just bored at 8:30 am. Anyway, anything worthy of sharing (or maybe not) from the past week has been documented via my Facebook pictures.

2 comments:

  1. This is the opposite of boring. So excited for you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed...fun to read and your pics make me smile!

    ReplyDelete