Friday, February 24, 2012

Random

There are a few little things that I haven't written in my previous blog posts, so I will write them here.

For one, the housing that I'm living in--Macquarie University Village, West Side--was built to accommodate the athletes for the Sydney Olympics, apparently.

Also, Australia is under a hole in the ozone layer, and it's the middle of summer. My pasty self pretty much has to reapply sunscreen every two hours, or less. Oh, and my freckles are back...all over my face and arms.

It is very common here to say "heaps" as in "very" or "a lot." Also, "keen" instead of "interested" or "excited" or whatever. So, if I come back to the States and tell you, "I'm heaps keen," it means, "I'm totally down."

Goon, the boxed wine that I have previously mentioned, gets its name from homeless people (often called goons) using the bags as pillows...or so I have been told.

On that note, Australians really like to trick Americans (or people in general?). "Taking the piss," means to make fun of someone. They do that a lot. I was worried my sassiness would be offensive to people here, but it turns out it fits right in.

Lastly I just wanted to mention that while we were waiting for our dolphin cruise, a little boy was pushing his bike around on the dock (with no railing) and pushed it right into the water. His dad went in and got it, but it was pretty adorable/funny.

Anyway, sorry all my posts are boring. I admit that I don't write very well. Oh, and my T9 texting...not getting much better yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment